Congregation Beth El – Ner Tamid – a Conservative synagogue supporting family, spirituality, traditions and lifelong learning, is seeking an Education Director of their Religious School. The Education Director works closely with clergy, administration, lay leaders and all arms of the congregation to connect, engage and inspire our Religious School students and parents in Jewish study, culture, tradition and celebration. The ideal candidate for this position should be an experienced educator who fosters a collaborative environment between staff, committees and the congregation. We seek a leader who is creative, accessible, responsive to children and adults alike and able to inspire faculty, madrichim, students and parents to think Jewish, feel Jewish, learn Jewish and do Jewish.
Religious School Principal
- Develops, implements, evaluates, and updates curriculum and programs as needed, in collaboration with clergy and lay leadership/committees and with input from parents.
- Ensures Religious School curriculum is delivered with a philosophy that recognizes and celebrates the unique individuality of every student and variety of learning styles.
- Recruits, interviews, hires, directs, observes, evaluates and helps retain highly qualified Religious School faculty, specialists, and special needs support. Provides professional development opportunities through staff meetings, internal and external programs, and coaching/mentoring.
- Oversees the development and implementation of all Religious School processes including registration, class placement, use of technology, class services, book and material procurement, schedule/calendar management, and family and faculty handbooks.
- Develops and implements family engagement programs as a component of Religious School. Interfaces with Bar and Bat Mitzvah tutors and clergy to engage families in the process leading up to their Simcha; schedules Bimah workshops for B’nai Mitzvah classes.
- Develops and leads (or supervises a leader of) Tefillah for Jr. Congregation and Tot Shabbat.
- Works with clergy and administration of Congregation Or Shalom to coordinate the curriculum, education, programming and family engagement as we have blended our schools on Sunday to form Or – Tamid Religious School.
- Develops and implements holiday educational programming.
- Acts as an ambassador for CBENT, fostering and actively engaging prospective members, current students and their parents and congregants, helping to create a welcoming environment
- Engages congregants of all ages, facilitating connections within education and programming opportunities
- Helps develop educational programs and marketing materials to recruit new students and their families, and to retain current students and families, encouraging their connection beyond educational programs in which they are presently enrolled.
- Collaborates with the Director of FELS pre-school and their administrative assistant to support our joint partnership and coordinate joint programming, mitzvah opportunities and fundraising.
- Plans and coordinates (with clergy, Executive Director, Board & lay leadership/committees) the calendars for Religious School, holiday programming, Junior Congregation and Tot Shabbat.
- Communicates with parents via email, phone calls and snail mail in order to share the weekly schedule, information and feedback regarding their children, volunteer and learning opportunities,
- Works with School Board President and Treasurer to create school budget and programming
- Attends Board and Staff meetings and presents updates on a regular basis.
- Works with the Executive Director to submit payroll, coordinate calendars, exchange information, submit maintenance set ups and requests.
- Remains current with research, trends, and innovations in synagogue education; attends professional development and city-wide Education Director meetings and programming
- Looks for opportunities to apply for grants and take part in Jewish community initiatives; completes necessary paperwork.
- Shops for supplies as needed; helps set up and clean up programs
Special Knowledge and Skills
CBENT is looking for a highly motivated Director of Education who has strong interpersonal, organizational and decision-making skills and sees themselves as a community builder and team player. We are seeking a professional who has excellent verbal and written communication skills, is detailed oriented and has the ability to communicate effectively and sensitively to parents, the congregation and the community. This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Education, preferably Jewish Education and current clearances.
Qualified applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to: CBENT715@gmail.com.